Sunday 8 September 2013

My Fall Television Schedule (2013 - 2014)

Note: This year I've also included mid-season shows, a mistake I made in not doing last year.

MONDAY:


Timeslot                     Television Program                             Network               Premiere Date
8.00pm - 9.00pm        Almost Human (New Show)                  Fox                       4/11
9.00pm - 10.00pm      Sleepy Hollow (New Show)                   Fox                       16/9
10.00pm - 11.00pm    Intelligence (New Show)                       CBS                      24/2
10.00pm - 11.00pm    The Blacklist (New Show)                     NBC                      23/9

Well it looks like Mondays it going to be an entirely new night for me. Last year I said I was going to watch How I Met Your Mother (was never really excited about that and now its in its final season), Partners (didn't end up watching and was cancelled), and Revolution (watched some of, but then it fell by the wayside and I didn't return. Will try to again at some stage despite the bad buzz its received, or perhaps because of that. It has also been moved to Wednesdays). I am most excited for The Blacklist, wish is odd considering I generally go for science-fiction/ fantasy more so over procedurals. How much procedural aspects each of these shows has will determine the likelihood of me continuing to watch. I like highly serialised television shows, so whichever has a greater sense of an overall arc is going to suit me best. At this stage it's Almost Human, Intelligence and then Sleepy Hollow. And I doubt I be following The Following when it returns, despite my desire to check it out last season.

TUESDAY:


Timeslot                     Television Program                             Network               Premiere Date
8.00pm - 9.00pm        Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (New Show)      ABC                      24/9
8.00pm - 9.00pm        The Originals (New Show)                   The CW                 15/10
8.30pm - 9.00pm        Brooklyn Nine-Nine (New Show)          Fox                        17/9
9.00pm - 9.30pm        New Girl                                                Fox                         17/9
9.00pm - 10.00pm      Supernatural                                          The CW                 15/10

With Happy Endings moved to Friday's and eventually cancelled after it finished airing its third season back in May, New Girl is the only show I also watched on Tuesday last year. I thought it was going to be one of those comedies I caught up on when I had several episodes to watch, but with little other laughs on last season New Girl was a weekly watch. Supernatural moves from Wednesday's after freshman Arrow's success on that night that season, The CW trying to solidify its primetime schedule by spreading out its most popular shows. As for the newbies Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D is a must as a Joss Whedon fan and therefore instantly on the top of my must-watch list. I'm lukewarm on The Originals, I'll watch it because I enjoy The Vampire Diaries, so I'm hoping new characters and a new location can revitalise things were its parent show is dwindling. I usually only choose one new comedy to check out each season (I generally like to wait to see what lasts and what doesn't) and this year, based on the trailers of all the network comedies, its Brooklyn Nine-Nine. And I'll catch up on Person of Interest one day, trust me.

WEDNESDAY:

 
Timeslot                     Television Program                             Network               Premiere Date
9.00pm - 10.00pm       The Tomorrow People (New Show)     The CW                9/10
10.00pm - 11.00pm     Nashville                                                ABC                     25/9
10.00pm - 11.00pm     American Horror Story                          FX                        9/10

Looks like Wednesdays will be my catch-up night now that Supernatural has moved to Tuesdays, which is fine, because did you see Tuesday? The Tomorrow People replaces Supernatural's spot, but I'm waiting to see whether its as good as Heroes was. Or as bad as Heroes was. I stuck with Nashville all throughout last season. It had moments of brilliance in which I wondered why I wasn't so excited to watch it every week, and then towards the end of the season it had such a decrease in quality that at this moment it's a more laughable soap-opera than Revenge. For some bizarre reason I left American Horror Story off of my schedule last year despite watching it (it must have been because it aired on Wednesday and I only looked for cable channel shows I watch on Sundays). But I have rectified the mistaken and it's here now, and the great thing about its concept is that every season I'm excited for it because its a completely new show. I had to refrain from putting Arrow in here, just like last year. Now I definitely want to catch up because I've heard such great things, but we'll see. Regarding Revolution, see Monday.

THURSDAY:


Timeslot                     Television Program                             Network               Premiere Date
8.00pm - 8.30pm         The Big Bang Theory                            CBS                       26/9
8.00pm - 9.00pm         The Vampire Diaries                            The CW                 10/10
9.00pm - 9.30pm         The Crazy Ones (New Show)               CBS                       26/9
9.00pm - 10.00pm       Reign (New Show)                               The CW                 10/10

Thursday is the day that stays most similar to last year, with The Big Bang Theory and The Vampire Diaries returning. 30 Rock ended it's seven season run last year, and Last Resort was cancelled. I know I said I only check out one new comedy per season but The Crazy Ones has Sarah Michelle Gellar in it, so I must watch! For a while, anyway. I almost didn't put Reign, but I just have to check out The CW's attempt at a qausi-historical period piece (with romance and possible supernatural elements!), I mean, who wouldn't? As with last year, I need to catch up with Scandal, even more so because of the buzz. Parks and Recreation has also come onto my comedy radar after five seasons (I told you it took me a long time), one of the reasons being with 30 Rock and The Office ending, and NBC cancelling the rest of its comedies, this and Community remain the only seasoned comedies on the network. And Sean Saves the World doesn't look too bad in a traditional gay sitcom sort of way. Don't judge me!

FRIDAY:


Timeslot                     Television Program                             Network               Premiere Date
10.00pm - 11.00pm     Dracula (New Show)                            NBC                     25/10

It's times like these were I question whether or not my love of science-fiction/ fantasy television is a good or a bad thing. I'm not really at all interested in watching NBC's boring titled period piece about vampires, but I feel I must as a fan service to the horror genre. I think I would much rather spend my Friday's catching up on the first two seasons of Grimm, eventually catching up with the new episodes. Now there's an idea.

SATURDAY:

Get a life. That's not the name of a show. It's something I seriously need to do.

SUNDAY:


Timeslot                     Television Program                             Network               Premiere Date
9.00pm - 10.00pm       Boardwalk Empire                               HBO                       8/9
9.00pm - 10.00pm       Revenge                                                ABC                       29/9
9.00pm - 10.00pm       The Walking Dead                               AMC                      13/10
10.00pm - 11.00pm     Homeland                                             Showtime               29/9
10.00pm - 11.00pm     Resurrection                                         ABC                       9/3

The only good thing about the end of the weekend is that the television always promises to be good, and this year is no different. The only causalities from my watch list were the cancelled 666 Park Avenue and Dexter which is about to finish its eighth season run. Apart from that, all the standard greats are still there: Boardwalk Empire, Homeland, and The Walking Dead. Oh, and Revenge is here for some reason too, it's good fun and I won't stop watching. I doubt I'll start watching The Good Wife either, I've given up on Once Upon A Time (and its new spin-off on Thursday too, by the way), and Betrayal, I so very badly wanted to watch you, but ABC's attempts over the last couple of years to recapture the drama of Desperate Housewives on Sunday's nights is getting worse and worse. That's not going to stop me from checking out Resurrection once Betrayal finishes though (whether or not its cancelled), although I hope it does finish its run so that this intriguing newbie show doesn't have to fight for the audience of all these other great shows.

While this is already a fairly extensive list of the television shows I plan to watch next season, there are quite a few mid-season replacements that haven't even been scheduled to premiere that I'm also eagerly anticipating. The 100 on The CW looks to be one of the more exciting genre shows available next season, and NBC's Believe might be worth a check in too. NBC also has the comedy About A Boy scheduled for midseason, and it being one of my favourite movies, I might give it a look, along with ABC's Mixology whose high concept storytelling may make for interesting television.

As for pre-established shows that are returning midseason, I can't wait for Nikita to hurry up and finish so I can go out and buy the DVD box set and devour this great series I've been missing out on. And NBC's Hannibal was the best show of free-to-air television last year so its a must watch for me. I'll also be watching Californication on Showtime when that returns.

There's also those summer shows that are still fresh in our minds as we head toward the new season, but lament that we won't get to see them again for almost a whole year. The fall premiere week will see the final episodes of  Under the Dome, Breaking Bad, Dexter, and Ray Donovan, and True Blood just recently finished its sixth season.

The cable networks are also busy developing new shows that could potentially air next season and the like of FX's The Strain, Showtime's Penny Dreadful, and HBO's The Leftovers are all shows in development whose premise greatly intrigues me and sounds like shows I will watch.


And then there's all the television that's not even on television, just to makes this that much more difficult. Netflix has currently made waves this last year with all its new original programming, and while I'm glad to see House of Cards getting online television content attention, Orange Is The New Black was my favourite new show of this year. I absolutely cannot wait until that returns, whenever that may be. And chance are, if I indulge in the show the same way I did this year, I'll watch the entire season in a week, and it'll be done with.

For a full list of the main television networks schedule check out this Wikipedia page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013%E2%80%9314_United_States_network_television_schedule

If my calculations are correct I plan on watching 21 television shows a week, at about 19 hours. I find this odd because last year I only watched 17 (18 with American Horror Story now included) yet I found approaching that season was a lot more overwhelming then what I am feeling now. The reason I have so much more shows on my list this season is that there are thirteen shows, two of them mid-season, which I am interested in checking out. Last year there was only five. That's a big jump, and perhaps I'm trying to make up for the shows I watched that were cancelled (three freshman series were axed, and four returning). Despite this, I think the answer is more likely that I found last years pilot season a lot more exciting then this one. All of the five shows I was extremely excited for, this season there's only one, which is Agents of S.H.I.E.LD. The rest I feel obligated to watch, like The Originals, The Crazy Ones, and Dracula, and the rest I haven't got a good enough impression of whether or not I'll like them, hence the large number of shows. I'll be trying a lot out, and I imagine quickly whittling them down.

Orange Is The New Black
Homeland
Hannibal
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D
The Big Bang Theory
Boardwalk Empire
The 100
American Horror Story
The Originals
Resurrection

Of course, of always, some will be cancelled (and in this context is the only time I ever see them as a good thing), and obviously not all of these shows are on every week. Some start later then others, with their premieres being months apart Brooklyn Nine-Nine and New Girl both starting on the 17th of September while others like The Vampire Diaries and Reign won't start until the 10th of October, almost a month later. And of course, that doesn't even include the mid-season show start times.

This will be in interesting year to follow in regards to what's successful, what's not, and what new trends emerge from a storytelling standpoint in television, but also in what audiences are most interested in and excited about. I think I myself am going to have to hone my trimming skills a bit unless I really want to end up watching The Crazy Ones and Dracula for their entire seasons. What are your thoughts on this seasons line up? Better or worse then last years? Are you still upset that your favourite show got cancelled for all this new crap, or can you sense a good show coming your way?

No comments:

Post a Comment