Sunday 22 September 2013

My 2013 Emmy Predictions


The American television industry's night of nights, the 65th Primetime Emmy Awards, which will recognise the best primetime television that aired between June 2012 and May 2013, will air in America tomorrow. You can watch it here in Australia live from 10.00am Monday morning AEST, with an encore screening at 7.30pm. Below you'll find a list of the awards and nominees, as well as my thoughts on you I want to win, and who I think will win.


Outstanding Drama Series:
  • Breaking Bad (AMC)
  • Downton Abbey (PBS)
  • Game of Thrones (HBO)
  • Homeland (Showtime)
  • House of Cards (Netflix)
  • Mad Men (AMC)
Who I Want To Win: Other than House of Cards, and Mad Men (which I haven't seen), I wouldn't mind seeing any of these series win, although I would personally vote for Homeland.
Who I Think Will Win: Homeland won last year, but critics and fans alike have been vocal about the series' supposed decline in quality. Similarly, it's been stated that neither Downton Abbey or Mad Men have had their best seasons either. I think it comes down to Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones, and out of these two, Breaking Bad will win.

Outstanding Writing for a Drama Series:
  • Breaking Bad (Episode: "Dead Freight"), Written by George Mastras (AMC)
  • Breaking Bad (Episode: "Say My Name"), Written by Thomas Schnauz (AMC)
  • Downton Abbey (Episode: "Episode Four"), Written by Julian Fellowes (PBS)
  • Game of Thrones (Episode: "The Rains of Castamere"), Written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss (HBO)
  • Homeland (Episode: "Q&A"), Written by Henry Bromell (Showtime)
Who I Want To Win: It would be "Q&A" if not for that unfortunate Dana subplot, so I'm going with "Say My Name".
Who I Think Will Win: Probably Homeland again, but Breaking Bad stands a chance with two nominated episodes, while "The Rains of Castamere" received a lot of critical praise for Game of Thrones.

Outstanding Lead Actor In A Drama Series:
  • Hugh Bonneville as Robert Crawley, Earl of Grantham on Downton Abbey (Episode: "Episode Five") (PBS)
  • Bryan Cranston as Walter White on Breaking Bad (Episode: "Say My Name") (AMC)
  • Jeff Daniels as Will McAvoy on The Newsroom (Episode: "We Just Decided To") (HBO)
  • Jon Hamm as Don Draper on Mad Men (Episode: "In Care Of") (AMC)
  • Damian Lewis as Nicholas Brody on Homeland (Episode: "Q&A") (Showtime)
  • Kevin Spacey as Frank Underwood on House of Cards (Episode: "Chapter 1") (Netflix)
Who I Want To Win: I don't mind, Cranston is the most deserving though.
Who I Think Will Win: Lewis won last year, and will probably do it again if Cranston doesn't.

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series:
  • Connie Britton as Rayna Jaymes on Nashville (Episode: "Pilot") (ABC)
  • Claire Danes as Carrie Mathison on Homeland (Episode: "Q&A") (Showtime)
  • Michelle Dockery as Lady Mary Crawley on Downton Abbey (Episode: "Episode One") (PBS)
  • Vera Farmiga as Norma Louise Bates on Bates Motel (Episode: "First You Dream, Then You Die (Pilot)") (A&E)
  • Elisabeth Moss as Peggy Olson on Mad Men (Episode: "The Better Half") (AMC)
  • Kerry Washington as Olivia Pope on Scandal (Episode: "Happy Birthday, Mr. President") (ABC)
  • Robin Wright as Claire Underwood on House of Cards (Episode: "Chapter 10") (Netflix)
Who I Want To Win: Again, I don't mind, would be nice to see Mathison win again though.
Who I Think Will Win: Quite a few newcomers this year, don't see any overcoming Mathison's performance though.

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series:
  • Jonathan Banks as Mike Ehrmantraut on Breaking Bad (Episode: "Say My Name") (AMC)
  • Bobby Cannavale as Gyp Rosetti on Boardwalk Empire (Episode: "Sunday Best") (HBO)
  • Jim Carter as Charles Carson on Downton Abbey (Episode: "Episode Six") (PBS)
  • Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister on Game of Thrones (Episode: "Second Sons") (HBO)
  • Aaron Paul as Jesse Pinkman on Breaking Bad (Episode: "Buyout") (AMC)
  • Mandy Patinkin as Saul Berenson on Homeland (Episode: "The Choice") (Showtime)
Who I Want To Win: This is probably the category with the strongest nominees in my opinion, but Dinklage and Patinkin put in outstanding performance during the episodes they're nominated for. Personally, I'd go Patinkin.
Who I Think Will Win: Hard to say. I don't think it'll be Cannavale or Carter, but everyone else has a real chance. I'd say it'll be either one of the Breaking Bad boys if it's not Patinkin.

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series:
  • Morena Baccarin as Jessica Brody on Homeland (Episode: "State of Independence") (Showtime)
  • Christine Baranski as Diane Lockhart on The Good Wife (Episode: "The Seven Day Rule") (CBS)
  • Emilia Clarke as Daenerys Targaryen on Game of Thrones (Episode: "And Now His Watch is Ended") (HBO)
  • Anna Gunn as Skyler White on Breaking Bad (Episode: "Fifty-One") (AMC)
  • Christina Hendricks as Joan Harris on Mad Men (Episode: "A Tale of Two Cities") (AMC)
  • Maggie Smith as Violet Crawley, Dowager Countess of Grantham on Downton Abbey (Episode: "Episode One") (PBS)
Who I Want To Win: Skyler is certainly not the most beloved of characters, but Gunn deserves the Emmy for her subdued performance throughout the first half of Breaking Bad's fifth season.
Who I Think Will Win: Smith has won this category for the last two years, and probably will again, although I wouldn't put aside Gunn or Hendricks for a surprise win here.


Outstanding Comedy Series:
  • 30 Rock (NBC)
  • The Big Bang Theory (CBS)
  • Girls (HBO)
  • Louie (FX)
  • Modern Family (ABC)
  • Veep (HBO)
Who I Want To Win: I only watch 30 Rock and The Big Bang Theory, and based off of the strengths of their respective seasons, I think The Big Bang Theory should won.
Who I Think Will Win: Modern Family has won the last three years, and 30 Rock won the three years prior to that. This season was 30 Rock's last, and its quality has diminished since its earlier season so I doubt it will win. While Modern Family has dominated the category, I don't think it will win this year, also you to a decline in quality. The Big Bang Theory would be the other obvious choice, but Louie is a critical darling and hasn't been nominated before, so that might finally get it's chance, while Veep could be the dark horse among them. I'm guessing Louie.

Outstanding Writing for a Comedy Series:
  • 30 Rock (Episode: "Hogcock!"), Written by Jack Burditt & Robert Carlock (NBC)
  • 30 Rock (Episode: "Last Lunch"), Written by Tina Fey & Tracey Wigfield (NBC)
  • Episodes (Episode: "Episode Nine"), Written by David Crane & Jeffrey Klarik (Showtime)
  • Louie (Episode: "Daddy's Girlfriend, Part 1"), Written by Pamela Adlon & Louis C.K. (FX)
  • The Office (Episode: "Finale"), Written by Greg Daniels (NBC)
Who I Want To Win: I've only watched 30 Rock, so I don't mind.
Who I Think Will Win: It was Louie last year, and I'd expect it to be again, unless 30 Rock of The Office get a nod for their respective series finales.

Outstanding Lead Actor in A Comedy Series:
  • Alec Baldwin as Jack Donaghy on 30 Rock (Episode: "A Goon's Deed in a Weary World") (NBC)
  • Jason Bateman as Michael Bluth on Arrested Development (Episode: "Flight of the Phoenix") (Netflix)
  • Louis C.K. as Louie on Louie (Episode: "Daddy's Girlfriend, Part 1") (FX)
  • Don Cheadle as Marty Kaan on House of Lies (Episode: "Hostile Takeover") (Showtime)
  • Matt LeBlanc as Himself on Episodes (Episode: "Episode Two") (Showtime)
  • Jim Parsons as Dr. Sheldon Cooper on The Big Bang Theory (Episode: "The Habitation Configuration") (CBS)
Who I Want To Win: As with the outstanding comedy category, I've only watched 30 Rock and The Big Bang Theory, and based on the performances of Baldwin and Parsons, I think Parsons should win.
Who I Think Will Win: I don't think Baldwin, Cheadle or LeBlanc will win, but Bateman might be a surprise contender after the resurgence of Arrested Development on Netflix. With Louie now nominated for best comedy, Louie might also have a chance this year after being nominated the previous two. However, I'm sticking with Parsons.

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series:
  • Laura Dern as Amy Jellicoe on Enlightened (Episode: "All I Ever Wanted") (HBO)
  • Lena Dunham as Hannah Horvath on Girls (Episode: "Bad Friend") (HBO)
  • Edie Falco as Jackie Peyton on Nurse Jackie (Episode: "Luck of the Drawing") (Showtime)
  • Tina Fey as Liz Lemon on 30 Rock (Episodes: "Hogcock!" / "Last Lunch") (NBC)
  • Julia Louis-Dreyfus as Selina Meyer on Veep (Episode: "Running") (HBO)
  • Amy Poehler as Leslie Knope on Parks and Recreation (Episodes: "Emergency Response" / "Leslie and Ben") (NBC)
Who I Want To Win: I only watch 30 Rock, and am yet to catch up on Parks and Recreation, but Fey's performance wasn't outstanding in 30 Rock this season, so I'm not fussed.
Who I Think Will Win: Louis-Dreyfus was a surprising win last year, so I'm thinking it will be her or possibly Falco again. Fey and Dern are also possibilities, both of their shows having finished this season.

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series:
  • Ty Burrell as Phil Dunphy on Modern Family (Episode: "Mistery Date") (ABC)
  • Adam Driver as Adam Sackler on Girls (Episode: "It's Back") (HBO)
  • Jesse Tyler Ferguson as Mitchell Pritchett on Modern Family (Episode: "The Wow Factor") (ABC)
  • Tony Hale as Gary Walsh on Veep (Episode: "Running") (HBO)
  • Neil O'Brien as Derek McKevitt on Friday Night Dinner (Episode: "White Noise") (HBO)
  • Ed O'Neill as Jay Pritchett on Modern Family (Episode: "Bringing Up Baby") (ABC)
Who I Want To Win: I don't watch any of these, so I don't care who wins.
Who I Think Will Win: Co-stars Ty Burrell and Eric Stonestreet have taken it in turns winning in this category for the last three years, and with Stonestreet not nominated, I guess it'll be Burrell. Sackler and Walsh, both first nominees, are dark horses though.

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series:
  • Mayim Bialik as Dr. Amy Farrah Fowler on The Big Bang Theory (Episode: "The Fish Guts Displacement") (CBS)
  • Julie Bowen as Claire Dunphy on Modern Family (Episode: "My Hero") (ABC)
  • Anna Chlumsky as Amy Brookheimer on Veep (Episode: "First Response") (HBO)
  • Jane Krakowski as Jenna Maroney on 30 Rock (Episodes: "Hogcock!" / "Last Lunch") (NBC)
  • Jane Lynch as Sue Sylvester on Glee (Episode: "Feud") (Fox)
  • SofĂ­a Vergara as Gloria Delgado-Pritchett on Modern Family (Episode: "Yard Sale") (ABC)
  • Merritt Wever as Zoey Barkow on Nurse Jackie (Episode: "Teachable Moments") (Showtime)
Who I Want To Win: Either Bialik or Vergara, who have done some solid work on their respective shows over the last couple of years, but never won the Emmy.
Who I Think Will Win: Bowen's won the last two years, and I don't see why she wouldn't win again.


Outstanding Mini-Series or Movie:
  • American Horror Story: Asylum
  • Behind the Candelabra
  • The Bible
  • Phil Spector
  • Political Animals
  • Top of The Lake
Who I Want To Win: I have only watched American Horror Story: Asylum, so again, I don't particularly mind who wins in this category.
Who I Think Will Win: Buzz is often a good indicator of shows that are getting critical attention, and here in Australia out of all of these, Behind the Candelabra and The Bible have gotten the most media attention. Behind The Candelabra was released here in theatres, and The Bible had a successful run on Channel 9, but based off of the subject matter of each, I think Behind the Candelabra will get more praise.

As I haven't seen majority of the Outstanding Mini-Series or Movie nominees I've refrained from commenting on the writing and acting (both male and female) for these categories majority of the award to go to Benedict Cumberbatch's Parade's End and Behind the Candelabra, and there's a possibility American Horror Story: Asylum could pick up some acting nods too.

Outstanding Variety Series:
  • The Colbert Report
  • The Daily Show With Jon Stewart
  • Jimmy Kimmel Live!
  • Late Night With Jimmy Fallon
  • Real Time With Bill Maher
  • Saturday Night Live
Who I Want To Win: We are limited to our access of American late night television here in Australia, particularly on free to air television, but from what I've seen of these shows, Colbert's political satire is my kind of humour, so I like to see the Emmy go to him.
Who I Think Will Win: Amazingly, Jon Stewart has taken home the Emmy for this category for the last ten years. If he doesn't do it again, I could see it possibly going to one of the Jimmy's.

Outstanding Reality/ Competition Program:
  • The Amazing Race
  • Dancing With The Stars
  • Project Runway
  • So You Think You Can Dance?
  • Top Chef
  • The Voice
Who I Want To Win: I don't make a habit of watching reality programs, let alone American ones, but I personally enjoy The Amazing Race the most.
Who I Think Will Win: Since the category was introduced ten years ago, The Amazing Race has won the Emmy nine times (only losing to Top Chef in 2010), so that seems like the obvious choice.

So there you have it, my quick thoughts of the categories and nominees for the 65th Primetime Emmy Awards, which will be hosted by Neil Patrick Harris. Remember to check back for my recap of all the nights events tomorrow. Enjoy the show!

No comments:

Post a Comment