Sunday 23 September 2012

My 2012 Emmy Predictions


Here are my picks for the 2012 Emmy's, who I think will take home the prize, and who I think should.

Outstanding Drama Series:
Boardwalk Empire (HBO)
Breaking Bad (AMC)
Downton Abbey (PBS)
Mad Men (AMC)
Homeland (Showtime)
Game of Thrones (HBO)

Who I Want to Win: Boardwalk Empire does what a lot of these nominated shows do well. It's based in the past and effectively portrays stories relevant to the present, has a distinct visual style, an anti-hero as a protagonist, and an incredible ensemble cast who each have their own story to tell. It's the combination of all these aspects together that make it so good.
Who I Think Will Win: It arguably had it's best season to date, so Breaking Bad.

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series:
Steve Buscemi as Nucky Thompson, Boardwalk Empire (HBO)
Michael C. Hall as Dexter Morgan, Dexter (Showtime)
Bryan Cranston as Walter White, Breaking Bad (AMC)
Hugh Bonneville as Robert Crawley, Downton Abbey (PBS)
Jon Hamm as Don Draper, Mad Men (AMC)
Damian Lewis as Nicholas Brody, Homeland (Showtime)

Who I Want to Win: Although I don't think Breaking Bad is the best drama on television, there's no doubt in my mind that Bryan Cranston's Walter White is the best character on television, and Cranston goes above and beyond to portray him.
Who I Think Will Win: Bryan Cranston.

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series:
Julianna Margulies as Alicia Florrick, The Good Wife (CBS)
Michelle Dockery as Lady Mary Crawley, Downton Abbey (PBS)
Elisabeth Moss as Peggy Olson, Mad Men (AMC)
Kathy Bates as Harriet Korn, Harry's Law (NBC)
Claire Danes as Carrie Mathison, Homeland (Showtime)
Glenn Close as Patty Hewes, Damages (DirecTV)

Who I Want To Win: As much as I love Glenn Close as strong-willed and manipulative Patty Hewes, Claire Danes proved all she's worth as bi-polar CIA agent Carrie Mathison.
Who I Think Will Win: Claire Danes.

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series:

Aaron Paul as Jesse Pinkman, Breaking Bad (AMC)
Giancarlo Esposito as Gustavo 'Gus' Fring, Breaking Bad (AMC)
Brendan Coyle as John Bates, Downton Abbey (PBS)
Jim Carter as Mr. Carson, Downton Abbey (PBS)
Jared Harris as Lane Pryce, Mad Men (AMC)
Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister, Game Of Thrones (HBO)

Who I Want To Win: It's hard to go up against Bryan Cranston on screen and outdo him, but Giancarlo Espostio did just that in the last season of Breaking Bad.
Who I Think Will Win: Giancarlo Espostio.

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series:
Archie Panjabi as Kalinda Sharma, The Good Wife (CBS)
Anna Gunn as Skyler White, Breaking Bad (PBS)
Maggie Smith as Dowager Countess of Grantham/ Violet, Downton Abbey (PBS)
Joanne Froggatt as Anna, Downton Abbey (PBS)
Christina Hendricks as Joan Holloway Harris, Mad Men (AMC)
Christine Baranski as Diane Lockhart, The Good Wife (CBS)

Who I Want To Win: Unfortunately I've only seen Breaking Bad and Downton Abbey, so from those nominations, Anna Gunn (although I think her performance this season as Skyler will be more worthy on an Emmy next year).
Who I Think Will Win: I hear Christina Hendricks year.

Outstanding Comedy Series:
Curb Your Enthusiasm (HBO)
Girls (HBO)
30 Rock (NBC)
Veep (HBO)
Modern Family (ABC)
The Big Bang Theory (CBS)

Who I Want to Win: I only watch 30 Rock, Modern Family and The Big Bang Theory, and based on their last seasons, I want 30 Rock to win.
Who I Think Will Win: Modern Family seems to have dominated this category since it's debut.

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series:
Larry David as Himself, Curb Your Enthusiasm (HBO)
Jon Cryer as Alan Harper, Two And A Half Men (CBS)
Louis C.K. as Louie, Louie (FX)
Jim Parsons as Sheldon Cooper, The Big Bang Theory (CBS)
Don Cheadle as Marty Kaan, House Of Lies (Showtime)
Alec Baldwin as Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock (NBC)

Who I Want to Win: Alec Baldwin continues to make 30 Rock the show it is.
Who I Think Will Win: And so does Jim Parsons.

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series:
Zooey Deschanel as Jess Day, New Girl (FOX)
Lena Dunham as Hannah Horvath, Girls (HBO)
Edie Falco as Jackie Peyton, Nurse Jackie (Showtime)
Amy Poehler as Leslie Knope, Parks And Recreation (NBC)
Tina Fey as Liz Lemon, 30 Rock (NBC)
Julia Louis-Dreyfus as Selina Meyer, Veep (HBO)
Melissa McCarthy as Molly Flynn, Mike & Molly (CBS)

Who I Want To Win: I only watch New Girl and 30 Rock, but neither lead role is outstanding, so I'd be happy to see anyone win, perhaps Amy Poehler since she is yet to get an accolade.
Who I Think Will Win: Possibly one of leads of HBO's freshmen comedies, lets say Julia Louis-Dreyfus.

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series:
Ed O'Neill as Jay Pritchett, Modern Family (ABC)
Jesse Tyler Ferguson as Mitchell Pritchett, Modern Family (ABC)
Ty Burrell as Phil Dunphy, Modern Family (ABC)
Eric Stonestreet as Cameron Tucker, Modern Family (ABC)
Bill Hader as Various Characters, Saturday Night Live (NBC)
Max Greenfield as Schmidt, New Girl (FOX)

Who I Want To Win: Max Greenfield upstaged Zooey Deschanel, and made New Girl a much better show.
Who I Think Will Win: As with Jim Parsons, Ty Burrell seems to have this category in the bag.

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series:
Mayim Bialik as Amy Farrah Fowler, The Big Bang Theory (CBS)
Merritt Wever as Zoey Barkow, Nurse Jackie (Showtime)
Julie Bowen as Claire Dunphy, Modern Family (ABC)
Kristen Wiig as various characters, Saturday Night Live (NBC)
Sofia Vergara as Gloria Delgado-Pritchett, Modern Family (ANC)
Kathryn Joosten as Karen McCluskey, Desperate Housewives (ABC)

Who I Want To Win: Modern Family gets a lot of critical acclaim, and the show owes a large part to Sofia Vergara's efforts, so I hope she gets it.
Who I Think Will Win: But Julie Bowen probably will.

I apologise for not previewing the entire list of categories, but my knowledge of the shows represented in them is limited and I didn't want to make any predictions without having seen majority of the programs, although I do hope Jessica Lange wins for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Mini-series or Movie, American Horror Story, FX. Tune back later in the week for my full review of the Emmy's and my thoughts on all the winners and losers.

No comments:

Post a Comment