Wednesday 23 May 2012

The Big Bang Thoery Season 5 Final Recap & Review (5.24: The Countdown Reflection)


I love the fact that Howard is achieving one of his biggest dreams, yet he is so afraid to do it at the same time. It shows some depth to his character, and with him marrying Bernadette in this episode as well, he's come a long way. The scene where he gives her a star necklace is touching, but simultaneously crude as he asks her 'Close your eyes. Put out your hand I got you something special', to which she replies 'Come on, Howard, I'm not falling for that again.' Ewww!

I can't say I cared for the retelling of the wedding once Howard was already in the spaceship, but I guess the writers thought it might have been a good way to hook viewers at the beginning of the episode, despite the fact it was painfully obvious they were getting married in the episode.

I loved that Amy wore her bridesmaid dress and tiara to city hall, but I'm not so sure how much of Amy I will be able to handle as she continues to try and change the relationship her and Sheldon share. Thus far it's been amusing, but how long until Amy says enough is enough? Or the even worse possibly, how long until she changes our beloved Sheldon? Sheldon grabbing Amy's hand at the end of the episode as Howard's rocket went into space was a little of enough gesture for me to breathe easy that the writers aren't going to go too fast with this, and that Sheldon will remain as he is.

I'm annoyed Leonard and Penny have hit their rough patch already. And they're fighting over exactly the same thing that broke them up last time, Leonard being too emotionally ready, while Penny in emotionally stunned! I mean, we had to deal with all this two seasons ago, why must we go through the exact same thing again? Hopefully this is cleared up soon, and next season the writers can try and do something different with the couple.

The fact that the entire gang became ordained ministers to oversee the marriage was cliched and full of sentimentality, but what are you going to do, it's a sitcom wedding, that's what they are. I did love everyone's speeches however, similarly touching and amusing.

I was wondering how they were going to incorporate Mrs. Wolowitz into the wedding without her being seen. Having her sitting so far away was a lame idea in my opinion, surely they could have come up with something better?

It's very much a bummer feeling constantly bad for Raj, and to be honest, I'm sort of dreading the disillusion of his bromance with Howard now that he's married to Bernedtte. I always was a little annoyed that we never actually got to see too much of just Raj and Howard just hanging out together, instead we were given constant homosexual jokes about their relationship.

Overall, a pretty standard season final, but it most definitely felt like the closing of a chapter, and next season each of the three main couples will be in interesting stages of their relationships. I'm hoping writers are able to keep the dynamics of the couples, and their context within the group, fresh and interesting. And while they're at it, give Raj something to do.

Rating: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment